The three main union federations and many social organisations have called a general strike in
Colombia on 17 March against the policies of the Santos government.
The unions’ demands include:
- · A decent increase in the minimum wage
- · No to cuts in pension and health provisions
- · Freeze prices of essential products
- · Opposition to privatisation of major state asset, Isagen hydroelectric company
- · That the government implements the agreement it made with farmer
and indigenous organisations.
The social organisations and trade unions repeated their support for the peace talks taking place between the government and the guerrilla groups (FARC and ELN), but they insist that the government has to adopt political, social and economic measures to alleviate the crisis facing ordinary Colombians.